On the morning of August 10, 1861, John Ray and his family watched as 5,500 union and 12,000 Confederate troops formed battle lines in his cornfield below. While his family hurried to the cellar, John Ray sat on his porch and watched as brother fought against brother on what would soon be called Bloody Hill.
The Ray family home is the only remaining structure from the Civil War era still standing on Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield. Wilson’s Creek Foundation has the opportunity to preserve 10 acres of privately owned land directly behind the Ray House through a conservation easement funded in partnership with the USDA’s Farmland Protection Program and The Civil War Trust. The Foundation’s goal for this project is raising $18,000.