At noon on January 8 the Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield Foundation will commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Springfield with a ceremony at Park Central Square in Springfield. The event will include speakers, living historians in period clothing, Civil War-era music, an authentic cannon, and the unveiling of newly redesigned markers for the Battle of Springfield tour. Following the noon program, a reception will be hosted by the History Museum for Springfield – Greene County, in its temporary location at 155 Park Central Square. In case of inclement weather, the noon event will also be held in the History Museum.
The 12 Battle of Springfield markers, located throughout downtown Springfield, highlight key locations and details of the battle. Although the new markers have not yet been installed, a replica of Marker 1 will be in place on the square, and all of the markers will be on display in the History Museum. The original markers were funded with the support of local donors and designed by the Wilson’s Creek NB Foundation. They were installed by the City of Springfield and dedicated on May 19, 2001.
The 1863 Battle of Springfield took place in what is now downtown Springfield. One hundred fifty years ago, Federal troops and Missouri Militia led by Brig. General Egbert Brown successfully defended the city and the Union supply depot located here against an attack by Confederate cavalry under the command of Brig. Gen. John S. Marmaduke. The battle lasted from dawn to dusk, ending when the last Confederate assault was repelled and Marmaduke’s forces withdrew to the Phelps Farm (present day Phelps Grove Park). Of the 4,000 Federal and Confederate troops present, more than 400 were killed or wounded.